Monday, October 13, 2014

Friends, Fashion & Faith

Today, two of my friends came over for lunch. When I told them I was having difficulty trying to figure out how to wear the dress I bought for my cousin's upcoming wedding, they told me to try it on to see if they could help. It's a halter/maxi dress that I wanted to find a gold shrug for. Since I don't wear sleeveless clothing, I've been frustrated trying to find something to wear with it!


My friends made me feel like Cinderella as they pinned and stuffed, and worked tirelessly, trying to figure out how to turn a gold shawl into a cover-up. (I never found a shrug!) After spending over an hour in my dressing room trying to come up with a solution for me, they realized they couldn't figure out how to make the shawl stay without slipping and revealing my arms/shoulders, so they offered to sew the shawl onto the dress or make me a shrug if I found gold material at a fabric store.
What I find most fascinating about these women, is that they are Christian-American's. One grew up outside of Philadelphia, and the other grew up in the Midwest.
They didn't judge me or call me a prude and I didn't have to explain why my shoulders and arms needed to be covered. They didn't make me feel uncomfortable about my beliefs and even wished they could do more for me. I'm the one that made jokes about being excommunicated from my mosque if I revealed any skin, and they laughed with me, not at me!


On the other hand, I've had Muslim women laugh at me and look down upon me, simply because they don't agree with my beliefs on modesty - women who have told me I'm backward and old-fashioned for following the "non-progressive" rules of Islamic modesty; Women who feel the need to follow the, "If you've got it, flaunt it" mentality like most of Western society.


Women like you, Christine and Linda are priceless gems, and I am so grateful to have you as friends.
This was an awesome day for me! Not just because I got to spend it with both of you in my boudoir, but because I now realize that I have all the friends I need, right here in good ol' York, PA!


Love you!
xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment