Monday, October 13, 2014
Take All the Survey's You Want! (Apology for previous post!)
I would like to apologize to the people who were offended by my recent rant concerning the "What type of ______ are you" surveys. What was meant as satire and harmless sarcasm/humor was not well-received by a few of my "counterparts" and I'd like you all to know that my intention was not to be hurtful. To be honest, I didn't know people felt so passionately about them!
It occurred to me last night, after posting pictures of my cat, that some may not understand the love of my pets or appreciate my need to share so many pictures of them, and those people have a right to their views. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be equally offended by a post stating women who post more pics of their cats than their kids are crazy! Some people without pets may not realize that pets are as important as humans! I am prepared to debate the fact that pets are family members, too! (I feed them, groom them, play with them and let them sleep in my bed with me, which makes them members of my family; my children!)
I realize that as a writer, I will always have critics. After blogging about my life's experiences, I've been criticized by members of my own family for sharing too much detailed information and for divulging too many of my private thoughts! (Particularly my confession that I didn't want a child so soon after I was married, because I'd wanted to complete my degree and because I felt unsettled in my marriage.) A few people thought it was unnecessary to share that thought, but being the narrator of my own story, I felt it necessary to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God!
I understand that sharing stories about my life vs. sharing my opinions on the actions of others are quite different, and I know I have a habit of sounding judgmental at times, and I am trying to correct that behavior.
I can't promise I'll change overnight, but I will focus on being less offensive, and learn how to sensor my thoughts in the future. Social media is still a new platform without clear rules and boundaries, but I'd like to use it in a positive way, as a forum to foster my creativity and share ideas and news that will be beneficial and informative, especially concerning politics and religion.
The first rule of communications is: Know your audience. It's a delicate balancing act when it comes to social media, because I know that it's my profile page, yet I have to understand that my "friends" or "followers" are my audience. Since it's written communication without facial cues, my words can be misinterpreted, too. I refuse to add winky faces (or other emoticons) after every sentence, so I have to determine whether the miscommunication occurs because I'm not a very good writer, or because of the blurred lines in non-verbal communication. (Probably, both!) I also have to consider the fact that a lot of people don't know me as well as I'd assumed. Second rule: Don't assume anything.
These are not excuses, they are simply explanations. Better yet, lets call them results from a "What type of writer are you" survey!
The truth is, I felt the need to apologize, because on one hand, my gut was telling me I'd done something wrong, but on the other hand, my pride was saying, "You've done nothing wrong. Don't apologize for your right to your opinion" and that's when I stopped to ask myself, "What have I got to lose?" The answer was, "My pride." If I've learned anything over the years about Islamic etiquette or from watching Super Soul Sunday, It's the importance of stripping away one's ego and doing whatever it takes to humble oneself.
As I strive to be a better person, I know I must ask for your forgiveness. My intentions were not in line with my actions.
However, if you want an apology from me for posting too many pictures of my cats/kids, you're not getting one! That would be asking too much!
Thanks for reading!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment